Digital Intermediate

Mark Henderson

I'm shooting a low budget feature in March 08. I will be using a Sony Z1U or the New Sony XD Cam (PMW-EX1). I will be editing with Premiere Pro CS3 and want to end up with a digital intermediate for digital projection at a theatre. Does anyone know of a good digital intermediate house that could help me with this low budget project?

Thanks, Mark

• Premium Member

It's questionable to use the term "digital intermediate" when you are just talking about either transferring video to film, or projecting video directly. "Digital intermediate" implies that digital is the middle step in something shot on film and then shown on a film print -- i.e. film-digital-film. Though the term keeps expanding, now to also include any material prepared for a digital cinema release using DCI standards, which I guess you are referring to.

Though if you're really talking about a DCI release, generally you don't get to choose whether your distributor wants to release it in film prints or digitally. If you're just talking about some private HD screenings, you can just show the material playing off of an HD deck, like HDCAM or HD-D5. It doesn't necessarily have to be DCI compliant.

"Cloverfield" has some HVX200 (DVCPRO HD, not HDV) mixed into Viper and F23 footage recorded to HDCAM-SR.