I believe video camera needs new drum heads

Brendan Maroney

The Samsung SCD107 i got a while back, and never fixed, has caught my eye again, and I'd like to get it fixed. The playback and recording is real screwy and from what i read sounds like a drum head problem. How would I go about getting this repaired? I am located in Central Jersey.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

• Premium Member
The Samsung SCD107 i got a while back, and never fixed, has caught my eye again, and I'd like to get it fixed. The playback and recording is real screwy and from what i read sounds like a drum head problem. How would I go about getting this repaired? I am located in Central Jersey.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

Call Samsung.

• Premium Member

Thought I'd add some info here. Inside your camera is a drum. The drums purpose is to be a medium for the videotape to wrap around. That drum has little rectangular holes on it at varying points. If you look close you'll see that there is a tiny horizontal strip in that hole. Those are the heads. They work by having the drum spin with the tape wrapped around the drum. The heads actually protrude from the drum (measured in microns). They write to the tape as it passes across the heads. Being these heads are merely microns in length, after a while they physically wear out until they no longer make good, clean contact with the tape. That is when you need to replace the heads. In a repair shop there is a small hand held measuring device that attaches to the drum and measures the width of the heads protrusion. Usually a range of micron length from xx-xx is a known safe operating range. When they wear beyond that they need replacing. Prosumer and consumer heads have short lives because the heads are so small. Larger, professional cameras have heads that last much longer due to size and better design. I had a Betacam that went 13 years without a head change with thousands of tapes having been used. I attribute that to using the same Sony tape all the time and luck.