my first time getting a job on set

Recently, I contacted a person in the town where I live who was making a movie. I asked him if he needed extra hands or could let me have an internship or something. I've never worked on a professional set before; only in a film school setting. He replied and told me he was in dire need of hands and we arranged a meeting. When I walk into the meeting, how will I know whether the film is legitimate and serious? When you all go into an interview for a job on set, are there certain things you do to make sure this is the kind of place you want to work? Any questions I should ask the producer or whoever interviews me? Anything I should make sure I do/don't do?

This is really my first time and I want to make it good and get great experience to put on my resume. I'd love any advice from people experienced in getting jobs on sets. Any tips you'd like to share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Hank Parker

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Well walk into the room looking very confident, no too confident that you look like an ass, but someone who at least looks like they know what they are doing.

What level of experience do you have? They said they are in dire need of helping hands, are they paying you? If not, then the chances are it won't be a large scale film. But then again, if you are willing to work for free, and just want the experience, go for it. The more films you have in your filmo the better.

Don't ask too many questions, otherwise they?ll just get annoyed. Just impress them, act enthusiastic, even if you aren't. Appear very hard working an motivated.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

Hi,

You know what, you'll probably need experience on crap sets more than you'll need experience on good ones. Working on good ones is easier!

But seriously: ask them what kind of hours you can expect, what the accomodation will be if you're away from home, what the hours/meal breaks/days-per-week thing is like, and most importantly, what the insurance situation is. It seems kind of backwards but if you're working for free, these queries are even more reasonable than they normally are. If they hedge, give you answers you don't like, or take offence at the questions, you know you're in trouble.

Phil

• Premium Member

To be honest, the fact that he said he is in "dire need for hands" never leads me to believe it is a big project.

I could be wrong about this particular project. That said, most of the more "legitimate" shows have no trouble at all finding a solid crew.

Kevin Zanit

Thanks a lot guys. I'm more confident now.

I also got the job! I'm excited. It's going to be shot on a Sony HD-f900. Now to learn about the camera... Any sites that will tell me the basics about High Definition? Anyplace I can read details about the F900?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Hank Parker