Job search in the US

So i wanted to know, im a young DP, i've done mostly cheap short films (film and video) and one or two commercials, and i've worked also as a 1st and 2nd AC, i want to work in LA or NY, im not located in the US (actually i'm in Buenos Aires, Argentina), what would be the best possible way to find work in the US, with today current situation, i mean work in a camera crew, as anything from videassist to serve coffe, how does one settle in the US to work in either films or commercials to work my way in the ranks to be a DP in the US.

Hope i explained myself cause my english grammar is a little rusty.

Juan Pablo Ramirez

1st and 2nd AC.

Buenos Aires, Argentina/Guatemala, Guatemala.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find a company willing to hire someone who isn't already local or in the area to meet. From the point of view of an employer, it's easier for them to hire someone local they've interviewed in person than to risk someone else they haven't. I've never heard of anyone paying below the line crew to relocate, mostly because they are freelancers. If you have a connection with someone already it might be a different story though.

Hi, Juan!

Coming from Argentina, I say your best bet is to consider moving to Miami. No, it's not Hollywood or New York, but there's a lot of commercial work being done there. Plus, even though your English is just fine, you'll be dealing with a lot of Spanish-speaking big shots, as well as seeing a lot of Spanish-language stuff in production. (Let's not forget that a lot of the major Spanish TV work comes out of Miami.)

It also doesn't hurt that it's fairly close to Argentina for your visits home.

Y si, la economia es como mierda aqui ahora, pero todavia, si tu tienes un trabajo "regular" y busca una en cine al mismo tiempo, puede tener suerte.

And your English is superb compared to THAT Spanish!

• Premium Member

I can tell you exactly what a hassle it is to be legal in the US. My work visa cost $5000 and lasts for three years. It took forever to get and I had to fill in a million papers and get letters of recommendation and validate everything I've done. After that you still have to get a US social security number before you can legally work. And after all that rigmarole you're still not really meant to take any union jobs (which even music videos are now), although for DP's they kind of accept it for MV's and commercials. No chance on a feature, though.

The US protects its film business quite fiercely.