Low light camcorder

Austin Michaels

Austin:

I guess the term "upgrade" would be subject to argument, but for low light you need to go Sony. We use the PD-170s for weddings. I don't know of any other camera in the price range that is better in a low light situation. The 2100s are also good (we use these too).

One opinion from a Production Director who edits about 25-30 weddings a year.

Anyone else?

Best,

kfox

It would be crazy to upgrade now and not go HD. the little consumer canon hv30 although lacking fully manual controls, outputs a much better picture then a vx2100, and certainly better then a gl2 and it goes for $650 (the vx2100 is the same camera as the pd170 accept missing dvcam support and XLRS but if your running XLRS on a gl2 the same unit will work on the VX, althouhg like I said this is probably a bad route to go.) If you are looking to actually spend some money your options open up alot. the sony HDV cameras are pretty decent and pretty strong in low light, I'm not too sure about all of the options here though. Alot has changed in the low end video camera world in the last couple years, actually in the entire video world really, look into whats out there.