Varicam white noise

Rob van Gelder

I just did a shooting with a almost brand new (3 months old) Varicam and we had a lot of problems in the beginning because of white pixels that randomly appeared all over the picture.

The owner-cameraman (a Thai guy) said he had seen this problem before and to solve it they heated up the camera with tungsten lamps.

Being in Thailand I would say the temperature is pretty high already but on this day it was about 22 degrees, still a nice temperature.

After a while and countless black balance and black shading procedures the problem disappeared and we could start shooting.

Who has seen this before? I find it hard to believe that it was a temperature problem.

• Premium Member

I have never seen that with a CCD camera before; usually you will get alot of lit pixels if you heat the imager too much. But I have been working with a new camera with a CMOS imager that gets strange artifacting when the imager is too cold.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The only thing I know of that causes a random storm of white dots on a CCD is ionising radiation. Usually CCDs have an increasing thermal noise characteristic, so warming it up would make it worse.

I suspect instead that this was a processing problem. Computer video boards do this if you try to clock them too fast - random sparkles of white pixels. Within that it could be almost anything - dead or dying ICs, power supply problems, or if the heat issue did seem to solve it, perhaps an interface issue with a connector or socketed IC which was solved by expansion. Conjecture really.

Phil

The white pixels flashed randomly, no pattern or fixed places. Probably not longer than one frame. Can´t say if they went to tape too, they didn´t try that, only waited till the problem disappeared.

If it was up to me I would have jiggled the cards a bit in their connectors, as that was what I guessed as well. But the people here are very afraid of DIY things, if it doesn´t work as expected out of the box... then just wait till it disappears!

A very Thai attitude and it sometimes works. :)

Edited by RobVanGelder

• Premium Member
The white pixels flashed randomly, no pattern or fixed places. Probably not longer than one frame. Can´t say if they went to tape too, they didn´t try that, only waited till the problem disappeared.

If it was up to me I would have jiggled the cards a bit in their connectors, as that was what I guessed as well. But the people here are very afraid of DIY things, if it doesn´t work as expected out of the box... then just wait till it disappears!

A very Thai attitude and it sometimes works. :)

It does not sound like classic "dead pixels". I'd go with the idea of a poor connection or a digital processing glitch. Heating things makes connections expand and contract, so might have had an effect if that was the cause.

• 1 month later...
Hi Rob my name is Wade i am also based in Bangkok , just curious where you rented the VariCam from ? , I work out of infocusasia most of the time feel free to drop in and say hi when your free.

On investigation of similar symptoms on a number of SD and HD Sony camcorders Sony Japan say the effect is caused by cosmic radiation 'lighting up' a pixel for a frame.

Phil you mentioned ionic radiation, whats that?

After worker for 2 0 years with theses cameras and 4 years exclusively with HD why did I only first notice it 6 weeks ago?

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Hi,

Ionising radiation. Given off by radioisotopes - uranium, plutonium, etc. Comprises alpha and beta particles and gamma rays. Latter two particularly dangerous. I saw some terrifying footage interior a rusting Russian naval barge filled with spent nuclear fuel rods, from a small emplaced camera whicih was producing a storm of white noise as the particulate radiation collided with the photosites on the CCD.

Phil

We had this same problem last year on a sony HD Cam. Little dancing white pixels all over the screen. Hard to see in the viewfinder but huge on the color monitor and also, sadly, there in playback.

We did take of the sides and tried wiggling and tightening everything in site but without avail. Our local tech also tried to wave the magic over it. We rented a backup body and were delayed less than an hour. Kinda wrecks the ole day rate though.

After several trips to Sony(US repair facility) and much head shaking. Many different and contradictory explanations, several delays, they finally (appearantly) replaced enough parts to cure this, and this problem has never come back......

Perhaps these things are finally complex enough to produce true

"Ghosts in the Machine" it sure makes a little film scratching seem tame....

And OH yes Cosmic Rays..... Which are much heavier in Thailand....I noticed it also when I was there. In fact I got quite burned at the beach....

Our(US) Sony guys had a bunch of explanations but..... even they didn't go there

come-on guys equipment failure is just equipment failure....

Edited by tjwilliams