jitter/flicker problems.

tom doherty

more super 8 problems! not that bad though.

recently shot 2 rolls of tr-ix using a braun nizo 801 for a title sequence to a short. most of the footage was pretty much ok, but quite a few scenes had alot of jitter and some awful flickering as well.

http://www.vimeo.com/3689253

uploaded to ask for any help and tips as to how to reduce this jitter. everything i have shot with a nizo 801 seems to have these jitter problems. also wondered if anyone know what cause the light flickering in some shots?

thinking about selling the nizo to get a canon 814/1014xl camera, as footage ive seen on these cameras have a very steady frame, what do you think?

thanks for any help

(am shooting my straight8 entry this weekend on tri-x and want little jitter and no flickering like in the video above if possible)

• Premium Member

Hi, assume stock was fresh????? not straight out the freezer etc??. I reckon it could be a camera fault, did the camera make strange noises whilst filming, how about the iris, was you on auto or manual?? My advice, try another camera....

• Premium Member
thinking about selling the nizo to get a canon 814/1014xl camera, as footage ive seen on these cameras have a very steady frame, what do you think?

The footage does two things, there is the jitter and also the exposure fluctuations which are considerable. As all Super 8 cameras are ancient by now, and most have never, ever been serviced, if you like your Nizo maybe you should see about having it fixed? Otherwise you could just keep buying cameras until you luck out and get one that works well. I have a "thing" about maintenance, I think it's good to get something you like to use and then keep it in good shape. I've never used a Nizo, but I have always liked my Canon 1014xls very much, but they need care like any mechanical device to work correctly.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

stock was fresh out of the fridge, waited about 45 minutes before i used it. no strange noises from the camera at all. am tempted to send it back under the warranty to super 8 exchange, hopefully buy a canon xl camera maybe......

hi tom,

i've never had any problems with image stability on my 801- it's certainly down to the individual camera rather than the make and model in this case i think. sounds like a dodgy camera to me- i'd return it.

i once had a problem with image stability on a zeiss, it turned out that the claw that advanced the film had a compressed ball of fluff on it. maybe check that out first.

will

my nizos are failing a lot more than my other cameras.

the exposure is a camera iris problem but my guess is unsteady image is random film cartridge issues.

but unless you really love that camera

get rid and get a nikon r8 or r10 or canon 814xls or 1014xls.