Anamorphic for Canon 5D Mark II ??

Guest Kal Karman

Crikey, where's that industrial plant? Looks great.

It's in Southern California north up the 101 near where it meats the 33 on the way to Ojai.

There's a caretaker and I do believe they rent it out for shoots. I've seen it used once.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd pop back in and share a recent test with you guys. I'm prepping for a shoot that's going to use some diopters for close ups and all that.

Now that the Iscorama 36 has gained popularity a lot of people are using just the adapter on top of other lenses either for different focal lengths or faster glass. Most are using the Nikon f/1.8 as it's extremely easy to adapt and you gain 1 and 1/3 stops over the stock Isco f/2.8 base lens. Nice if you need it, but it does introduce some strange flare and just a bit more pincushion distortion.

Here's sort of a worse case example with a +2 diopter. (Don't mind the sharpness, shot was panning)

iscoAnaDioptTest.jpg

And just some images with the +4.

iscoAnaDioptTest2.jpg

I'll be using the stock Isco lens for most of this shoot. Rest of the stuff will be telephoto/normal glass.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm looking for 1 or 2 ISCORAMA 36, or 42 for a project. We have a good budget.

I would prefer 2 similar one. Alternative: 2 KOWA 8Z (16H).

If you got them, let me know!

Cheers,

/Domidom

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

re: "Panavision machined 100mm 2x anamorphic lens based on a Canon 100mm f/2"

Phil,

First: the isco shots look great...a really interesting look for the high end Canon DSLRs...

Second: your still shot of Hollywood and Highland is AWESOME. The grail. Is that your Panavision modified Canon 100 f2??

Which leads to:

3) Have you shot any of the Panavision C, E, G series anamorphics on the 5DMkII? Do any of them cover the full frame? Will Panavision even rent them for this application?

4) What specifically did you have Panavision make for your Canon 100mm f2? An anamorphic front element? Any elaboration on specifics, cost, a pic of the results would be great to see/hear...

Thanks in advance for your posts and answers.

- Stephen