85b filter

Bucky OConnell

I just recently shot a roll of ektachrome on a cannon 814 AZE, and I used an external 85b filter. The footage came back more red than i expected, does this mean that the built in filter in the camera is still working and i do not need to use the external filter? Please get back to me, thanks!

Bucky

I just recently shot a roll of ektachrome on a cannon 814 AZE, and I used an external 85b filter. The footage came back more red than i expected, does this mean that the built in filter in the camera is still working and i do not need to use the external filter? Please get back to me, thanks!

Bucky

Hi Bucky. I am new to the forum, and have recently been getting more interested in Super8 filming. I first got a Nizo 561 and just recently got a Canon 814 AZ Electronic.

As I understand it most cameras have an 85a filter built in, but Kodak recommend that with Ektachrome 64t film an 85b filter should be used when working in daylight. On the Nizo I followed the advice generally given that the 85a should be switched off and an external 85b filter fitted and used. I believe the same advice is given in relation to the Canon, so if you fitted an external 85b filter, I suspect that you did not cancel the 85a internal filter. The result would be that unintentionally you finished up shooting through both filters. With the Nizo to cancel the 85a internal filter, a simple switch has to be turned. On the Canon, however, you have to cancel the internal filter using the key which is stored on the bottom the camera just in front of the mounting point. This has to be screwed in to the aperture on the top of the camera which is plugged generally.

I hope this makes some sense.

Bob Lewis