Help with NPR motor switches and loop noise maker

Evan Ferrario

I need some help getting the settings right for my motor and figuring out what the problem is with my loops.

The motor that came with my NPR had the back button broken off (see picture). I need someone to explain if I got the switches right for the NPR so it is at 24 crystal. I assumed that I set the 2 so they are at the 60 mark and the other at 24. What does the switch which says Int/Ext do, I thought it might switch between the crystal and the tachometer.

There is a small gauge on the top of the motor that goes from 12.5 to 40. I am assuming the button that broke off controls this speed.

dsc00097kej.jpg

dsc00098xaj.jpg

Could someone please verify/explain the motor buttons to me.

Also when I loaded a dummy roll of 200 feet on a core, I can't seem to get the noise maker to stop going off. I loaded it about 20 times and know I am leaving enough loops. I tried bigger loops too just in case.

The problem is that every time I start the camera, I can see the lower loop instantly get pulled tight and start the lower noise maker. I tried giving all the loop to the lower and it still is pulled tight right away.

What could be wrong if the lower loop goes away right away every time?

I know I need to get this camera serviced by a professional, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong.

• Premium Member

Hi Evan, you're right about the settings for speed and cycles. You're definitely missing the hi-speed knob. If one were there, you'd turn counterclockwise until it clicked off....that would be the non-variable speed setting. Then if you turned it on in a clockwise direction, you'd be at the low end of your variable speed, and by continuing to turn clockwise you'd ramp up the speed.

I think you're losing the film loop because of the camera movement needing adjustment. It's probably the clawstroke.

Thanks for the help Bernie. From what I've seen it makes sense that something with the claw is going wrong. I am shooting my final project at Syracuse on film starting in September and my acl has been working great (now that I know how to load it properly) so I will just use that, although I have to respool my 400 foot cores. I got the NPR for a good deal so I might just hang onto it and bring both cameras in for a tune up with you in January after I graduate and am working.

I plan on using these cameras for the rest of my life so I am not in a great hurry to fix up the NPR. Ultimately I want a video tap and super 16 so I might wait until I have to funds to get the rig together.

Your knowledge and the help of everyone on this site has made it possible for me to shoot on eclair for which I am very grateful.