2k gamma correction

Fulgencio Martinez

Hi,

I shoot a S16mm feature in morocco

It was scanned to 2k and did a grading for film printing at technicolor London

Now the director has this grading, and has done some DVD with it

As it was graded to be Filmout it is not right in gamma on the PAL dvd... black is not 0 white is not 100 ire

So.. Could i apply a gamma correction over the 2k files on a mac pro to make a dvd,bluray properly??

what software is the best for this? fcp color?

thanks in advance

Fulgencio

• Premium Member

I'm not quite sure if I understand what your situation is.

Do you have the graded 2K data files? Are you making DVDs and blu-ray discs from those? What software are you using to do that? Do the 2K files look OK?

If you are seeing white and black offsets in your DVDs that could be caused by a lot of things and it's hard to be specific. Yes, you probably could fix that sort of thing in Color, but you should probably contact the place that graded it for advice too.

P

but i guess there was a 3d Lut to make it look like the final 35mm copy.. wich was never done due to money issues

They probably just didn't "bake" in a LUT when they rendered out and gave you the files, which is why they look flat. I would contact them ASAP and hope they still have the files on their system. Otherwise you could try applying a basic LUT of your own, although you may not be able to accurately reproduce what it looked like @ Technicolor without using their LUT(s). To be honest, this is probably something a skilled colorist should handle, as trim-pass color grading (for 35mm print) is different than grading for video distribution.