camera stabilizer for Sony PMW-350K-suggestions?

Chris Tangey

I would really appreciate some sound buying advice on steadicam-type stabilizers.

I am about to purchase a Sony PMW-350K (standard fujinon HD lens) and take the big jump into stabilization. As you will all know this is a daunting task as I don't want to get it wrong. It is particularly difficult as not only am I limited to what is available in Australia as such, but my business in based in Alice Springs, in the centre of the outback, 1000 miles from the nearest city. In other words I am unlikely to be able to demo a rig before I purchase.

Although it might sound obvious, my main requirement is the best stabilization. I don't really care about the design, what it looks like, how tricky it is to operate ( although obviously easier is preferable!) I just want smooth, pro results. The budget I have is up to US $13,000 for the whole kit (no surprises). If it's much cheaper that's fine too. Yes, I know a lot is up to individual skill and experience, but all things being equal what do you think is the best stabilizer I can afford? I have looked at the Swedish easyrig and eliminated that as it seems to be more an ergonomic thing, I am yet to find a convincing demo video on a sachtler on the web and the steadicam flyer LE looks interesting but again I've seen nothing convincing.

I know it's tempting to just push the rig you own for the sake of it, but if you were truly objective what would you get? (that may well be the one you've got anyway!) I'd be especially grateful to hear from pros/semi pros who have experience with similar camera weights and more than one stabilizer. Whew! I don't ask much do I? Thanks a lot.