Super 8 Camera Problems

Ryan F

Hi,

I'm new to Cinematography.com just found out about this place from onsuper8.org.

Anyways the other day I finished shooting a roll of film (plus-x) I took out the cartridge and tried the trigger again and the camera just stopped. I couldn't hear or see the gate moving at all. So my first impressions were to change the batteries, made no difference still didn't work. So then I assumed it was either dirt clogged up in the gate or that the electrics had gone inside the camera. So I left it alone.

I tried the camera again yesterday and still it didn't work. However I tried it again this morning and it's working! Happily, merrily!

But it was really scary for a moment, because I love my camera. Anyways I just wondered if anybody knew what it might have been and if you have any suggestions/advice for the future in case it happens again. I don't know that much about my camera to be opening it up and start messing with wires and stuff.

But any help would be good. My camera is an Elmo 240T I've had it for about 4 years, before then it belonged to my old college teacher. So I don't know that last time it had a proper clean or look at.

Finally does anybody know of any Super 8 repair places in the U.K? I tried to look for some the other day but couldn't see any!

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm new to Cinematography.com just found out about this place from onsuper8.org.

Anyways the other day I finished shooting a roll of film (plus-x) I took out the cartridge and tried the trigger again and the camera just stopped. I couldn't hear or see the gate moving at all. So my first impressions were to change the batteries, made no difference still didn't work. So then I assumed it was either dirt clogged up in the gate or that the electrics had gone inside the camera. So I left it alone.

I tried the camera again yesterday and still it didn't work. However I tried it again this morning and it's working! Happily, merrily!

But it was really scary for a moment, because I love my camera. Anyways I just wondered if anybody knew what it might have been and if you have any suggestions/advice for the future in case it happens again. I don't know that much about my camera to be opening it up and start messing with wires and stuff.

But any help would be good. My camera is an Elmo 240T I've had it for about 4 years, before then it belonged to my old college teacher. So I don't know that last time it had a proper clean or look at.

Finally does anybody know of any Super 8 repair places in the U.K? I tried to look for some the other day but couldn't see any!

Thanks.

Hey Ryan

It could be because the film cart was too tightly wound when it was made. If it happens again, you can manually turn the film on the side of the cart to loosen it up. I've encountered this in the past with a entire box of 20 carts of Ektachrome from Kodak. The cart would run fine and then completely lock up. I tried about 6 different carts and finally contacted Kodak who explained that it was a manufacturing flaw. They replaced all of 'em. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't had any s8 stuff repaired for a long time but used to use axco instruments in finchley, north london - 020 83468302

i think they are still going and the quality of workmanship was always second to none.

w

p.s. if my camera did that i'd probably try giving it a sharp slap.

Edited by Will Cummock

• Premium Member

Hi, gently slap the cartridge in the palm of your hand before loading. If fault persists try another cart of film. If your camera is still playing up, a repair would out weigh the value of a replacement camera.