Film stocks and flaring

Eric H

I have noticed recently that when I shoot Fuji filmstock (the 500T vivid) that it flares differently than let's say the Vision3 Kodak 7219. also there is more noticeable grain structure in the Fuji overall. Can anyone add their 2 cents to this? is it possible that the anti-halation backings on the stocks can transmit more or less light if the thicknesses were different and if one were to point a lighting unit directly at the lens the differences in the backings or emulsion layers in general react different?

I even got to thinking that if the backing were thicker or thinner light could bounce off the pressure plate and cause halation from the rear.

thanks to anyone with some insight on this...

Eric Halberstadt

• Premium Member

I've never noticed Fuji stocks being more prone to flare. I have noticed they are more prone to UV haze though, at least a long time ago on the older stocks like F64D. They are a tad grainer than Vision-3 stocks... but overexposing them helps.

The rem-jet anti-halation backing really isn't going to be different. The color mask is different though, lately Fuji has opted for a lighter color mask to reduce noise in scanning.