Can Tri-X look like Plus-X?

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

Can Tri-X reversal film look like Plus-X if the Tri-X is pulled one stop? I've received one free processing test if I shoot a tri-x cartridge. If someone else is pumped to shoot the Tri-X cartidge specifically so that it can be pulled one stop in processing, let me know and maybe your cartridge can be the test cartridge.

If someone has already done this test, please respond to this topic and tell us your observations.

• 1 month later...

I think good lighting makes a bigger difference than the type of film you use. I just did a project and used both, plus-x for outside and tri-x for inside. Nobody noticed. The only discernable difference was between the shots that were well-lit and those that were not.

But to answer your question, I do not think there is a way to make tri-x look like plus-x, since it comes down to the difference in the size of the grains. Science won't allow it.

I think good lighting makes a bigger difference than the type of film you use. I just did a project and used both, plus-x for outside and tri-x for inside. Nobody noticed. The only discernable difference was between the shots that were well-lit and those that were not.

But to answer your question, I do not think there is a way to make tri-x look like plus-x, since it comes down to the difference in the size of the grains. Science won't allow it.

I just shot some Tri-X and Plus-X. I'm no expert but I don't see how Tri-X can be made to look like Plus-X except for reducing the grain with a touch of gausian blur and reducing the contrast after digitizing.

I'm going to try some of the new Ectachrome 100D and convert to B&W digitally to see the results.

I wonder how much longer Plus-X will be processed by the labs. Too bad we only have 1 B&W reversal stock now.

I just shot some Tri-X and Plus-X. I'm no expert but I don't see how Tri-X can be made to look like Plus-X except for reducing the grain with a touch of gausian blur and reducing the contrast after digitizing.

I'm going to try some of the new Ectachrome 100D and convert to B&W digitally to see the results.

I wonder how much longer Plus-X will be processed by the labs. Too bad we only have 1 B&W reversal stock now.

PXR and TXR use the same process, so it makes no difference to the lab. At least there's some good news.