space light

Spacelights dont have punch, hey dont have a "focus" and

because they have the silk part connected to the fixture by chains, so they are difficult to handle (as difficult as a chinese lantern outfit) therefore, usually spacelights are best when hanged.

Since they create a "glow" they are good for spreading light around, great for lighting large areas, where you want to have a minimum exposure. I never use them as the source but more like an overall fill.

Specially in high key TV shows.

They are also good for green screen...where they can give a feeling of an even lighting.

But remember: once they are on, they will SPREAD light in every single direction, to the bottom and to every side.

unless of course you put some "skirts" on it, which will increase the amount of heat in the fixture.

t

Also you can have areas with more intensity of soft light than others, just by mixing, 1Ks, 2Ks and 6 Ks spacelights.

A word of advice, make sure the spacelight fixture has a mesh/net covering the globe. Because the fixture operates facing down, (with all of the heat staying around the fixture)

if someone has touched the globe by accident, the globe will explode...and if you dont have the metal net covering , your globe will become dozens of ultra hot pieces of sharp glass flying in every direction.

So in my opinion, spacelights are good to spread "fill" light but not easy to control.

Edited by Gustavo Brum

So in my opinion, spacelights are good to spread "fill" light but not easy to control.

I absolutely agree. They are used as toplighting in large sets and, as you mention, spreading even light. I remember the lighting designers on "Dreamgirls" using them for lighting the stage. They bring out harsh light, but can be soften with diffusion frames or silk skirts. And not only are they difficult to control, they are also difficult to handle correctly.