Painting on Super 8 film - which paint to use?

neil kerr

I have a few projects in mind where I'd like to paint directly onto my super 8 reels but am not sure which paint is best to use and whether or not the transfer lab will even consider transferring my work if I paint it. Actually I don't really care if they'll transfer it as I want to do it anyway and will just go down the home-telecine route if needs be.

I am not planning on trying to paint specific tiny images onto the film as that would be a nightmare, I have a a few ideas in mind where I'd like to scratch people out of the film and and replaces them with blocks of colour.

haven't a clue what kind of paint/ink is preferably for this purpose co could do with a nod in the right direction.

thanks

I have a few projects in mind where I'd like to paint directly onto my super 8 reels but am not sure which paint is best to use and whether or not the transfer lab will even consider transferring my work if I paint it. Actually I don't really care if they'll transfer it as I want to do it anyway and will just go down the home-telecine route if needs be.

I am not planning on trying to paint specific tiny images onto the film as that would be a nightmare, I have a a few ideas in mind where I'd like to scratch people out of the film and and replaces them with blocks of colour.

haven't a clue what kind of paint/ink is preferably for this purpose co could do with a nod in the right direction.

thanks

Hello Neil,

Colour photographic dyes , which is used for retouching and colouring prints , transparencies ,

will do the trick ,

christopher .