Handholding an ARRI II/IIIC w/ CE Base

plgp00

I am looking for ideas on handholding an ARRI IIIC (similar to a IIC in design) with a CE Crystal Sync Motor Base attached. Has anyone handheld this setup previously? The base is not overly heavy, but it is awkward. Does anyone know of a shoulder brace that might help. There are shoulder mags available for this camera, but will these help to carry this weight? Also, I am not sure if the base needs support from beneath. Maybe a baseplate that will connect to a shoulder brace?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've not handheld a IIC/IIIC with a CE base, but I have with a Cinema Products flatbase. It's probably lighter than a CE base, but I've found for me, it's a great way to hand-hold the camera for a steady shot especially when hand-holding while in motion on a western dolly, shopping-cart, etc. The trick is to rest the base in your two palms, keeping the weight balanced in your hands and eschewing the thumb-grip on the camera with the toggle-switch in "auto" position.

Everyone has their own method. If the base is even heavier, the shot probably could even be smoother. That being said, everyone has their own way of finding what works and there's really not one way to do it, but I find shoulder-brace rigs to be annoying with IICs.

TJ

You may like using the handheld door for the Arri III which doesn?t rotate but also doesn?t push your eye so far from the camera. There is a shoulder bracket that curves and gives you more support. It has handles attached to the front.

I would go with the handgrip motor in the left hand - and the body of a 2 and 3C is desgined with to be held (near the lens) with the right hand - and it is really easy to use - in fact I hold the camera in my right hand only and use my left to pull focus (for my own stuff)

thanks

R