CP16R Shutters

Jane Margo

Hello... I have two CP16r's both with different shutters. One is the half moon and the other is a bowtie. I was wondering what issues I would encounter in attempting to match footage shot using both cameras. Has anyone done this and what were your results? Anything anyone has to offer on this subject is greatfully welcomed.

Jane Margo

• Premium Member

The only real difference is the shutter angle - the half moon is 170 deg, most bow ties are 156 deg, unless it's an early version which is 144 deg.

So at 24 fps your exposure would be around 1/51 sec with the half moon compared to 1/55 or 1/60 with the bow tie.

The biggest concern is probably that the bow tie design was notorious for smearing highlights under certain lighting conditions.

• 2 years later...

Hi Jane,

I just wanted to assure you that I´ve been using a CP16R with the bowtie shutter for several years now and have yet to come across the dreaded smearing effect.

I guess one thing to do would be to shoot all sorts of subjects with tricky highlights and see if you can 'provoke' the smearing to happen, then you´d know under what circumstances to watch out for it.

Dom, can you shed some light (no pun intended) as to under what conditions the bowtie shutter would smear highlights?

Best Wishes

Lars

I just got a CP-16r! I have no lens, but I have a bow tie shutter, if I may ask some questions to my fellow cp-16 users,

(a) what lenses are y'all using? Primes or Zooms? Which types. I am dying to know

(b) How worried are you on a scale of 1-10 about the chip malfunctioning on you, i read that the a common mod on these is to change the chip, to a more friendly, more 21st century chip... so it doesn't melt your board, like these old chips which have been in the camera since it was manufactured in years of past..

© May I see any footage anyone has shot with a cp-16r.

Threading! If anyone is willing to share an experience with threading a cp-16. I have a mitchell type 400ft magazine. Is it easy to thread these for 100ft loads or just as complex as the 400ft mags..

-rudy