Arri 16s Cables & conversion to 12V

flavio filho

Yes. :)

A female connector to go to the camera, a male connector to go to the battery.

Yes :)

Without dwelling in depth into the anatomical and biological comparisons, "male" connectors will have sticky out pins, whilst "female" connectors will have sockety holes for the sticky out pins to go in ;)

This is a snap of the battery for my Eclair:

post-32424-0-90218900-1307124909.jpg

Ignore the 3-pin XLR on the right, that's for something else (pilotone output for use with non-crystal sound recorders).

The 4-pin XLR on the left is the female battery output connector.

Thanks a million.

Is there anything else to help me soldering this cables I would need from Maplin?

Maplin-List.gif

Tapes, connectors, etc, etc... ?

Yes. :)

A female connector to go to the camera, a male connector to go to the battery.

Without dwelling in depth into the anatomical and biological comparisons, "male" connectors will have sticky out pins, whilst "female" connectors will have sockety holes for the sticky out pins to go in ;)

Ignore the 3-pin XLR on the right, that's for something else (pilotone output for use with non-crystal sound recorders).

Thanks a million.

Is there anything else to help me soldering this cables I would need from Maplin?

Maplin-List.gif

Thanks a million.

If you want to make life a bit easier then a nice soldering iron stand and a bit of sponge will make life easier, eg. Order Code N55CG. Certainly not essential though - at home I balance the iron on the edge of the desk and use a bit of damp tissue paper on a place mat! ;)

Side cutters, wire strippers etc. can all make life easier, but if you don't want to spend the money then a pair of pliers can cut the wire and you can (carefully) use a stanley knife to prep. the ends.

Easiest thing is to just give it a go, if you find you're missing something then worry about it then (or find a way to work around it).

Thanks a million.

Maplin-List.gif

:huh:

SOrry, consider the last post. It was not refreshing and showing, so I did it again. :P

Ian, the 6A cable I got from Maplin is kind of THIN.

Almost twice as ticker than the original old arri cables.

2M 2-Core 6A Mains Cable 3182Y (The units on the website

Would that be alright? Which would be a more safe (thicker than 6A) to build an EXTENSION?

I'm afraid that is too thin to make a connection of 3M to use with the cables. It might heat too much).

Thanks,

Flavio

Digging around again to try and get an idea for the current drawn:

Typically, the motor draws around 2.5 A when running at 24fps.

On the Alan Gordon website they list the TM-23 as...

Only draws about 1.2 amps in a 16-S and 1.8 amps in a 16-M, about half the drain of your original motor.

Which also corresponds with Jean-Louis' comment that the original Arri motor draws about 2.5A.

The fact that your camera/motor is going to be drawing less than 1.5A means from an electrical point of view you really have nothing to worry about if you plan on using 6A cable (a safety factor of more than x5) - irrespective of length. However, you may prefer to go for a higher current rated cable for mechanical reasons - it will be physically larger, which will also make it more robust against damage from being trapped in doors, dragged over rough ground, flight cases dropped on it etc. etc.

If you do go for a larger size, then make a note of the maximum diameter cable you can pass through the back of the XLR connector before hand! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Success!

Guys, I did the first cable and worked fine!

Sooooo good to hear the noise of the 16s... Oh yeah!

Thanks for all the tips guys, really. Now I know how to manage the cables of my Arri16s.

Special thanks to Ian, also for the patience with an amateur.

;)

Edited by flavio filho

• 4 months later...

Hey Ian.

How's it going? Long time.

I was looking at our battery photo, quite cool.

And that just gave me that *click* to start my merging into electric parts of my Arri 16s...

Have 4 MAGS (yes, 4) to convert so need to know what to buy, how to do... to make it from 8V to 12V, so I can use the same battery source and avoid burning anything by accident in a set or something (what would be a nightmare).

And after, build 2 Battery packs to carry, similar to yours in the pic, between making one NiCad or Acid. Not sure what's better/lenght of battery?

I believe there's another post of yours or someone else, will look around to find it).

So, any help is greatly appreciated. Links,. How 2's, etc...

Thanks

Flavio

Hi again.

I just saw one of the 4 motors I have has 12V TCM written inside it. To be sure about them all, will have to test the voltage...

So, I wonder how would be possible to test the voltage of them? I have to have a voltage meter of course, but where I should touch the tips?

And how to do hat without plugging into a battery? With the risk to burn it plugging the only 12V I have onto a 8V?

Thanks,

F

• 2 months later...

They also had a bunch of fully functional Arri 16s's on a shelf for decoration.

Will, drop me a line on where this place is if you get a few moments. If they have 16S cams collecting dust to just look pretty, I want to talk to them. ;)

mchenryproj(at)yahoo.com will get you to me eventually. I'm not on the lists here as much as I used to be. Bought a 16S/B not long ago and I could use a good source for parts.

Thanks,

Sean