Lens adapter for canon

Brent Stevenson

• 4 months later...

By "Wollensak" and "Kodak" I'm going to assume we're talking c-mount 16mm lenses, and it's going to be almost impossible to use them on one of the mirror-box SLR's.

Even if their image circles will cover the larger APS-C format - which is probably not the case for lenses wider than, say, 25mm - they can't be mounted close enough to the image plane.

C-mount lenses are designed with (about) a 25mm backfocus, that is the mounting flange of the lens is designed to be 25mm from the film plane. Mount it any further out than this and you can't reach infinity focus.

By comparison, Canon EOS and Nikon F mounts, IIRC, are about 44 and 46mm deep.

That means a Canon mount would have to extend about 20mm deep into the throat of the camera. I don't know about the 550, but I have a 60D in front of me at the moment, and I can tell you there's no way that there's enough space in there.

There is sufficient space on the newer mirrorless slr's, and c-mount lenses can be made to work on those, although coverage will still be an issue.

If you do see a C-to-EOS adapter online, be aware that it will almost certainly not reach an infinity focus (on the other hand, of you want cheap macro.... )