Matching frames

ChrisAdams

Ok guys, I have a music video coming up where we want to have a guy driving in a car and then cut to the exact same frame of him in an interior room where a band is performing. We will do another match frame with an actress in the performance space and in a house. I recently saw this on a commercial where a guy is walking back and forth through the frame and it cuts between about 30 different locations flawlessly. What is the best way to achieve this?

This is going to be slightly run and gun but I need to make sure it is pulled off perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

The AT&T commercial (I think, right? It looks like an Apple thing too, but I think it was AT&T, more bars more places...)?

I was thinking about it the other day. I'd measure everything, choreograph to a beat, and do multiple takes to see what lines up right. I don't think there was any camera movement really, so no motion control, all just marks and diligent choreography.

Perhaps someone else knows of a way more technologically advanced way to do it.

Yep this commercial:It seems like they had to have someway of matching because even his facial movements are consistent throughout...

I'd still say that it was choreography and dynamite talent. Or something that if you're doing a simple run and gun that may be out of the budget.

I don't know, a lot of that seems like composite shots. The depth, FOV, and light is just a bit off for some of the shots.

A few EVF's will allow you to do overlays, making match frames pretty easy. Combine that with some old school camera logs and you'll be in business.

Download it directly using one of the many youtube rippers and analyse it frame by frame at the transitions...

I noted that he was in the foreground of the lion share of those scenes which would allow easy an easy green screen composite - but then lighting changes are too abrupt ... Still doesn't exclude it as a possibility - talent (as in a real talent, someone mime or dance trained) would do the same path/movement under all the required lighting set ups, comp, spatial and temporal morph if need be.

Chuck in some real locations to make the doubters doubt and cut so fast that no one gets a chance to assimilate and away you go smile.gif