Inexpensive, effect indie film classes??

Riley Sean Finnegan

Hi everyone -

I'm an (aspiring) indie filmmaker with gaps in budget and skills. Ive taken some classes at a film school in Union Square, but realy didn't get anything out of it, and it was ridic expensive.

Does anyone know wheree there's a good and INEXPENSIVE short crash course in filmmaking in NYC for indie film guys like me? If anyone could point me toward the right direction, that would be awesome.

Thanks all,

-- Riley

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Simens?? Are you SERIOUS??! I took his class and learned absolutely NOTHING. That guy has NO idea what he's doing!!

Really? I wouldn't know.

Then why recommend it?

Anyone who claims to teach you everything you need to know in just 2 days is a fake and a liar.

I dunno..maybe I shouldn't have, huh? What?

You'd be better off finding a group of people in NYC to just work and grow with. I live just out of the city (and though I am not something worth aspiring towards) I have learned more by just shooting with dedicated people. Though I do know alot of people prefer a more Traditional Education.

If your idea of participation on an internet forum is to deliberately offer advice on subjects you have no knowledge of, perhaps you should rethink how you spend your time.

You're right- it was deliberate. I knew nothing about it and yet- I still typed it. Thank you, Stuart, for calling me out. You are a champion of the truth.

I took a few film classes both online and at different film schools and really didn't get that much out of it until a few months ago I took this weeklong workshop and it was really fantastic. Best part is we made a complete film. The hands-on experience was wonderful. We were able to observe and participated in the whole process. Try it out and see if you like it yourself.

http://solarnyc.com/digitalfilmmakingworkshop/

• Premium Member

His name is Dov Simens and he will teach you all you need to know in 2 days- for $199!! Coming to NYC 29-30

http://dovsimensfilmschool.com/

Twenty years ago a friend dragged me to this guy's seminar (against my protests). Dov's interesting. He tells you a lot about prep work, but he doesn't go into the actual mechanics of making a film. He doesn't tell you anything that you won't get out of a good solid film program, and to be honest you're better off going to film school and getting hands on experience with a low end camera and student crew than paying to listen to his two day lecture.

As interesting as he is, I wish I had never attended his "classes". I would reccomend his class for people who just want to learn about the office end of film production, because that's kind of what I got from him. But again, it's nothing you won't learn in a more efficient and thorough way by going through a film program and working in the industry.