Help me with a choice

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

So, I'm doing this action movie thing on Sunday.

I posted about this before, but the budgetary reality has come down to the fact that I can have one camera system, not the two I'd have preferred. The choice is:

- a 2/3" broadcast camera, which will deal with the strobe lights, the shaky-cam, and be easier to operate, but doesn't do slow-mo.

- an FS700, which is a reasonable camera and has high sensitivity and the slow-mo. Probably it would be faster than the 2/3", which might well offset the more difficult focus pulling, but it would not necessarily deal well with the shaky-cam and strobes.

In either case I would be recording to a flash recorder, so the recording medium is identical.

I really, really want the stability and reliable strobe performance of a non-rolling-shutter camera, but then it's an action movie, and I also really, really want the overcranking.

My inclination is to shoot it on the FS700, and cut around any particularly egregious rolling-shutter issues, taking my chances with the strobes.

Is this really anything other than a coin toss?

P

I haven't tried it yet, but if you go with the FS700 and have quicker pans, FCP X has that thing that supposedly can help mitigate rolling shutter. Maybe just to process the clips in question. Grab the trial and give it a go if you don't have it/have no intentions on really using it.