Letus AnamorphX Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Hi, I'm a 25 year old DP in Glasgow, Scotland. I've just shot my first anamorphic short film for the 48 hour film project.

I tried out some new lighting gear I'd never used: a polecat, super clamps, loads of 300W and 150W fresnels, and a 4x4 kino. I was also learning how to focus the anamorphic adapter on the job. Luckily I had a fast learning 1st AC!

We won an award for best digital effects, but unfortunately no real feedback on the production otherwise - so I wanted to get some feedback on the cinematography in general. Just looking for constructive criticism if you've got some. Be brutal.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/80835548

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated,

- Darren

• Premium Member
I'll answer in a roundabout way. Be careful with vimeo, they lure users with higher quality settings which in turn creates a stroboscopic nightmare for older computers. So I was distracted by the constant stop motion. I would guess i was seeing it at four frames per second. But to clarify, I can watch video anywhere else and rarely get strobing.

More specifically as to the film, I thought the writing was good. I was drawn in by the "29" comment and then found the script chatter to be combatively funny.

Can't say much about the DP because of the strobing that I experienced when watching it.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it, even with the stroboscopic effect. Vimeo I think is better for copyright reasons. We want to take the film to various festivals and I think YouTube essentially owns anything you put up, where as Vimeo pro accounts consider user rights and ownership more pleasantly. That's sad that it strobes on slower computers though.

Thanks for your response, I'll give the writers your feedback on the dialog.

- Darren

• Premium Member

One solution to the youtube copyright issue (if what you say is true), is to post a version of your project on youtube with two text burn ins, one in the lower third, the other in at least one of the upper corners, not at 100% intensity, a bit lower than that. The idea being that a version of your show that has a permanent burn in in more than place does not have much value.

The burn in should be a physical, rendered burn in that can't be undone by clever file editing.