XL2 Lense Maintanence

Guest sandovalerik

Guest sandovalerik

Hi,

Im going to be shooting on an XL2 this summer in the Kuwaiti desert. Im worried about what exposing my lens to the harsh desert climate could do? Any advice on protection or on the possible dangers/realities/facility of shooting in a desert?

Thanks.

- ES

• Premium Member

That sounds like a nightmare to me. Check out Portabrace at www.portabrace.com for a protective covering for the camera. I'd look into a UV lens filter to keep the lens element clean and dirt-free. Dust is just as bad for the camera body as it is for the lens. Maybe store your camera away when it's not being used. I wonder how hot it'll get too. That might be another issue to deal with. Anyway, it sounds challenging but fun. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks a lot, drew.

A good waterproof case would be a must, too. LOTS of compressed air (the kind used for film camera lenses, not the stuff you buy at Best Buy - check out www.studiodepot.com ) is another necessity. Like mentioned before, a UV filter - or four, 'cause you'll likely end up ruining a few.

• Premium Member

The main thing is to seal out the fine sand and grit and keep the camera cool. The Porta Brace rain slicker would be a good idea and having a bunch of Haze 1, or clear filters is also good.

A decent brush to brush of the Portabrace is good too. This way if you are trying to open the rainslicker, you can brush away the sand first

The rain slicker will not keep out the sand and grit. You'd do better with an underwater housing--but that will be very awkward.

Your lens is not going to be near the issue your tape transport will be! THAT is where you're going to run into trouble. The lens is sealed, whereas the tape transport area is wide open--literally! Keeping the sand out of there will be your biggest single challenge.

If it were me, I'd rent a camera. I would not subject my XL2 to that kind of environment!!!

Jay

Edited by Jay Gladwell