Shooting in a Bushfire

Martijn van Broekhuizen

Hello everyone,

In summer i'm shooting a documentairy about smokejumpers in siberie I'm probably going to shoot at a completely stripped Aaton Xtr. And thinking to use kodak 7218

We will probably be very close to the fires and stay in these fires as long as it takes for the russian firemen to kill them, this can last up to many days and as we are in the middle of nowhere we dont have everything by hand.

But as it is not very common to shoot in these surcomstances i wondered if any of you ever shot in these surcomstances. Has anyone got sugestions!?

thanks Martijn van Broekhuizen

This is a fairly dangerous thing that you are going to do. I have filmed a number of big bushfires here in Mozambique and I have also had a number of scary moments. Wind changes and fire can push forward very quickly, burning you and your camera. What are the smokejumpers wearing? If they have firesuits, get one of them and don't faff around with sheets of metal, this is OK on a safe set but not in the middle of the wilds. Have somebody watch your back the whole time as fire jumps... this is all common sense stuff really. If I was your producer I would be thinking very seriously about whether I would send somebody in to do this without some serious Plan-B for if something goes wrong.

Be really, really careful.

This is a fairly dangerous thing that you are going to do. I have filmed a number of big bushfires here in Mozambique and I have also had a number of scary moments. Wind changes and fire can push forward very quickly, burning you and your camera.

Yes wind changes at the last minute are scary.I've had it happen on me with fire coming from two directions and almost been trapped in between two fire lines.Will you be jumping in with the smokejumpers or shooting from another vantage point?