R3D color space confusion

Pete Raynell

Hi there,

I recently shot a music video on red epic dragon. This was my first time using the red camera and I’m attempting to color correct this project my self in Davinci resolve. With a limited amount of time and quick turn around required.

The project was shot in 5kHD 25fps

Color Space – DRAGONcolor2

Gamma Space – REDgamma4

The client has specified that the final project will be distributed online with the possibility for TV broadcast and they recommend using Color space: ITU-R BT.709 (I believe this is the same as Rec 709)

I’m grading on a calibrated screen that can operate in the following color spaces

Rec. 709

AdobeRGB

Rec. 601

sRGB

DCI-P3 Emulation

At the moment I have the clips raw settings in resolve set the same as the camera

Color Space – DRAGONcolor2

Gamma Space – REDgamma4

And my external monitor is in the Rec.709 color space

By then adjusting raw settings (WB, tint, FLUT, etc) and some small primary corrections I am happy overall with the image on my calibrated monitor.

If I set the Color space to Rec.709 instead of DRAGONcolor2 I notice the color tones change slightly but am still happy to grade in this space.

However If I change the Gamma Space to Rec.709 the image is extremely washed out and the raw contrast control seems to only shift the whole image exposure up and down rather than separate the highs from the lows. I seem to have to do a lot of work with the curves to get the blacks black again etc.

As I am no colorist so I am left with a few questions of what settings I should be using…

Can I simply leave the raw settings to Color Space – DRAGONcolor2,

Gamma Space – REDgamma4 and grade with my monitor set to rec.709 and my final delivery will be the same as what I get on my rec.709 monitor?

OR

Should I set the raw settings to Color Space – rec.709,

Gamma Space – REDgamma4 ?

OR

Should I be setting the raw setings to Color Space – Rec.709 ,Gamma Space – Rec.709 and then adjusting curves etc from there.

OR

Considering this is primarily going to be for online web delivery (with potential for broadcast) should I be working in an sRGB color space instead? Or even do 2 versions one graded in rec 709 and one in sRGB?

FYI – My experience with grading goes as far as usually working with Arri Alexa footage shooting in Log-C with the rec 709 LUT in camera. On the small handful of projects where I have not had a colorist to work with in post I import the Alexa Log – C footage to Resolve and apply the Rec-709 LUT and make and corrections from there and send it out for web and broadcast.

• Premium Member

Because of the enormous explosion of settings that can be tweaked in these scenarios, it can be difficult to advise over the internet. In general, though, setting the input LUTs to whatever you set in camera should work - and it appears to be working. When you export your final, you'll need to tell Resolve that you want 709 output, and it should end up looking like it does on your 709 monitor.

Give or take any problems with black levels in various video players. And sRGB versus Rec. 709. And some other stuff.

Oh dear.

P