Hello my fellow cinematographers,

I hope you can help me with my problem. I need to shot for more than 8 minutes. Do I need a ssd of 320Gigas? What model do I use? Are models not compatible with the redone?

Thanks a lot.

I think you are thinking of the Red drive which is a cheap hard disk raid that used to come in 320gb and 640gb versions.

It's not an SSD. There is also a 100GB Red Ram unit which is similar but SSD based. These are a grey colour but otherwise look like Red drives. They are as rare as hens teeth now.

To use SSD's you need the SSD side module and an SSD reader unit. You have to use the special Red SSD's. You can't use the newer SSD mini mags but only the older ones. The 48GB ones don't work with the Red One so far and I don't think the 512GB nes do either yet.

Edited by Freya Black

Hello my fellow cinematographers,

I hope you can help me with my problem. I need to shot for more than 8 minutes.

I assume you are using compact flash cards, possibly 16GB ones. Another Option is to drop the resolution or increase the compression. For 4K 2:1 RedCode 36 should give you 13 minutes and RedCode 28 should give you 16 minutes.

The combination of 3K 2:1 and RedCode 28 gives 29mins fr a 16GB card.

If you go all the way down to 2K and RedCode28 then you should be able to use "Slow Media" (non Red Cards) then you could maybe use a 32GB card to get 129mins in theory although I don't know anyone who has tried it as people don't tend to feel drawn to 2K and RedCode28.

So there are some other options for you!

Freya

Edited by Freya Black