Sign in to follow this  
John Hall

Push Processing Colour Reversal (7285 100D))

I'm shooting a short in a few weeks on 16mm 7285 Ektachrome 100D Reversal.

Most of it will be outdoors, but there is one indoor scene.

The location is a living room with large bay windows (most likely not in frame).

Since I have a small lighting kit (all tungsten units, a few 1k's, MAYBE a 2k blonde), I'm hoping to take advantage of the daylight and correct my lights with CTB to match the daylight (and the film).

The window is not likely to get any direct sunlight, and with the amount of light I'm going to loose from the CTB gels, I'm worried my light levels may be two low.

One option I'm considering, should light levels be too low, is push processing 1 stop. I've checked with the lab and they can do it, but I have no idea what to expect from pushing reversal stock.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? What would it be like compared to pushing a negative? Will there be way too much grain?

Due to the scale of the project (short experimental film), testing isn't really an option (neither, sadly, are a few HMI's which would really solve the problem =).

If worse comes to worse, I can probably get a hold of some 7240 125T, but that will require shipping from Colorado to Toronto.

Thanks!

I'm sure that Ektachrome 100D can be pushed one stop and not get too grainy, but it would get more contrasty, so you'd have to light a little flatter.

As David notes, like most E-6 films, it should handle a one-stop push fairly well. Likely to see more midscale contrast, but less detail in the shadows.

David & John, thanks for the advice.

I think I may end up just getting a roll of 7240 to shoot the interiors. Since the project should only take 2-3 100 ft. rolls, and the interiors would have to be on their own roll for push processing, its easier to use the 125t film.

Thanks again.