Canon 1014 AEZ emergency repair

Mendes Nabil

Hello all!

I have a problem with my Canon 1014 auto zoom electronic and i really need to fix it so i can sell it (i already have a buyer).

The rewind film indicator that allows superimposition is stuck into the blue position and i have no way to switch it back to the right(orange), even after having pushed the tiny silver button called « the Rewind mechanism cancellation button » . Do you know how can i fix it? The frame counter is also stuck, but i saw it working once while i was trying to fix it by turning the shutter to « Rewind ».

Any advice would hugely help me, Thank you!

The CANON 1014 Auto Zoom is a complex camera to repair. The complexity involves that film rewind system coupled to the variable shutter mechanism, and the display windows. I suggest trying to thump the camera while running it against a well folded towel in one hand. Don't smash it, but hit it a little bit harder than a gentle slap in the face. Do this first to the left side of the camera as you are holding it. This the main control side where you are having problems. If it still doesn't free up, try it again, perhaps a little harder. If still nothing, then the only other option is repair. I do not suggest attempting this yourself due to the complexity of this camera. It is very easy to gets components out of adjustment or over disassembling the camera. The film backwind/rewind mechanism is where many Super 8mm cameras fail as they age due to a variety of reasons (different with each maker's camera). Good luck with it, hopefully it's just stuck and will free up for you.

• 2 weeks later...