Gerald King

Any Tips for Beginner 1st AC's, possible equipment?

Hello guys, I haven't been on too many AC gigs, but I have read the Black and Blue but seemed to forget the more advanced things to do. Are there things that I can do to set me up for success in this gig that I recently got? Like to become a better AC? The last shoot I did that was about a month long, the 2nd Unit DP explained to me that I wasn't fast enough with the lens swaps and battery swaps, but this is when I was doing both the 2nd A/C and 1st A/C's job. And when I A/C'd that time, it didn't seem the DP was too impressed with my A/C abilities. So I am a bit curious as what I can do to learn more like a 1st A/C's responsibilities as well as a 2nd A/C's responsibilities. Anything would be much appreciated. :)

A beginner 1st AC is a phrase that could be considered an oxymoron. I have no idea what your situation is but you should try to find work as a digital utility or loader as you dont have a clear grasp on working in a camera dpt.. Go by the camera assistants manual, David Elkins and Douglas Hart both have one. Optics and Focus for Camera Assistants is a great book as well (albeit expensive).

• Upvote 1