Mentor

Uri Ackerman

Hello there..

As a cinematographer new to the states, I'm very interested in learning and growing. That's the reason I came here.

I was wondering if anyone has an idea for me, how to meet cinematographers and maybe to have one as a mentor.

I have had 9 years experience shooting documentaries in Israel and abroad, and am interested in making the transition into feature film.

Thanks...

Uri Ackerman

• 4 weeks later...

Uri,

I'm in the same boat as you, only native US and with less experience. If you stumble upon a way to mentor, please let me know. Until I can help out though, best of luck and keep on trying.

later,

Ryan H. Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The best way, I think, is to go work on a movie and try to strike up some sort of dialogue. If they like you, you have a mentor. If they don't, well try again.

Josh Hill

joshhill@hot.rr.com

I was at the ASC open house and some of the DP's I spoke with told me that apprenticeships aren't really in the industry structure anymore and that a good way to work your way up and get the knowledge you need is to start at a rental house. You'll get to know the equipment and make connections to AC's and DP's. Then begin moving on up. What's scariest to me about this whole route is that you may get stuck in one position and not move for a very long time. Why would anyone want to lose a good AC for an inexperienced DP? I dunno, I'll be graduating this semester and am trying to find my own ways in. No matter what, while trying to work my way up I plan to keep photographing student, indy and spec projects so that I will still be practicing my craft as a DP. Good Luck!

Alejandro