Brian Rose

Price for old film

I have the opportunity to buy several 400ft rolls of 16mm film. It is Vision 2 500T. THe seller is asking half price for the rolls, but the caveat is the film is approx. 1 year old (although it has been kept frozen for that time). Is this a good deal?

Best,

BR

I have the opportunity to buy several 400ft rolls of 16mm film.  It is Vision 2 500T.  THe seller is asking half price for the rolls, but the caveat is the film is approx. 1 year old (although it has been kept frozen for that time).  Is this a good deal?

Best,

BR

Hi,

I would try and get it a cheaper. If it was just in a fridge then IMHO 500 asa would be past its best for direct printing but for telecine would be O.K. You can't be sure when it was frozen!

The other unknown is how old was the stock when he bought it? In Switzerland I receive the same batch no for many months! At times I have been given stock I know to be 2 years old. I have phoned up and been told thats all they have in that emmulsion!

Stephen

Unless the stock was mishandled before being refrigerated, it's likely okay. Always at least run a clip test on each roll of stock from a reseller.