Wendy (2020) - Shot by Sturla Brandth Grøvlen

• Premium Member

Anyone else see this?

I just watched it with the kids and it's beautiful. The exteriors look like they used natural light and shaped it. None of it felt staged. Even the nightime stuff doesn't play as overlit. I worked a couple jobs with kids and they're all over the place, so to me, it's super impressive that Sturla was able to keep a shape on all the shots of those kids' faces. All the shots. Watch it and you'll see what I mean. However slight, the shape is there. It was shot on 16mm.

His use of colors (I'm assuming LEDs) in select scenes were wonderful. I'm referring to the caustics in the water cave and the shadows on the cave wall.

"WENDY" YOUTUBE TRAILER RIGHT HERE

• Like 2

Very good, beautiful film that didn't get the love it deserves from critics. A fresh take on the Peter Pan mythos, surprisingly dark. I think Brandth-Grovlen's work is excellent, I would have gone a bit more whimsical but the approach is clearly naturalistic and realistic. Great locales too that stand out (and meant the film took its sweet time getting made). This is really the sharpest 16mm I've seen yet, surprisingly little grain, well, in the iTunes 1080p version.