White cyc colored

Varuj Chapan

Hi everyone,

Im shooting a dentist on a white cyc as he does a tutorial and want to change the background to a blue/green color.Since the studio Im going to shoot in is prelit with space lights for the background I was thinking what the easiest way to do this to get the most evenly lit background.I want to avoid gelling the space lights if I can because Im basically doing lighting and camera by myself.I have an idea and wanted to share to get your thoughts.Im thinking of keeping the space lights at 5600k and for my main light a 300d mkii  Im thinking of dropping a 1/4 cto and 1/8 minus green and custom white balance for the main light.What are your thoughts? I will leave a sample image of what Id like the background color to be and what the studio looks like.Thank you.

8805AEAB-365D-42B6-BA94-430906F59A88.jpeg

2B5046D6-B2BD-45C3-A280-ECE7FB7D0017.jpeg

Edited by Varuj Chapan
Grammar correction

• Premium Member

The space lights are already 5600K and not 3200K? That makes it pretty simple - set the camera to 3200K-ish and CTO/CTS gel on your key light to taste. Real tungsten light or at least a Bi-Color LED would probably look better, but you gotta use what you have. 

Just make sure to flag the space lights off of your subject if you don’t want blue overhead spill. Depending on how much grip equipment you have access to, it might be simpler to just get a blue seamless backdrop instead of mixing color temps.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

The space lights are already 5600K and not 3200K? That makes it pretty simple - set the camera to 3200K-ish and CTO/CTS gel on your key light to taste. Real tungsten light or at least a Bi-Color LED would probably look better, but you gotta use what you have. 

Just make sure to flag the space lights off of your subject if you don’t want blue overhead spill. Depending on how much grip equipment you have access to, it might be simpler to just get a blue seamless backdrop instead of mixing color temps.

Thank you Satsuki!