Creating soft, even fill light in big open night exterior?

imran qureshi

I'm shooting a music video where I want a cool blue night exterior, I'm going to be shooting tungsten (wb in camera) and lighting with uncorrected daylight lights and wondering what the best solution would be for getting the soft, even fill? I am wondering if I should create my own DIY balloon lights to hang in the air to get the fill but wondering if anybody had any better suggestions? 

I will also be using the key light on the subject, I want him to be illuminated more than the surroundings (subtly)

I will also be using haze, a wet down and a snow machine. 

Thanks!

• Premium Member

This is in the city? A neighborhood? A country road? The woods?

If in the city, especially an alley, it makes sense for foreground moonlight to come primarily from top. But if it's in the country, or woods, a sidier back light lifted from ground can work as opposed to a balloon. Budget may prevent the mombo combos necessary to reach a bounce or diffusion high enough to sell large frames as moon light. A balloon could be either sidey or toppy though, so there's a plus! Construction cost, time, and materials is really your judgement call. Bear in mind possible problems that may arise on shoot, such as leaks or accidents setting it up.

But if it's a small foreground, I've gotten away with filling two 4x8 cards (set end-to-end) from the side for fill, and let a harder backlight from up high serve as the moon (a 4x4 bounce). You can see the double shadows from the separate sources. Next time I attempt it, I'll try to lengthen the fill more to feather the softer shadow more.

moonlight.thumb.png.0df3d8b2fc26aebeda49cc851128a42d.png