black/Cine foil and hockey tape as gaffer tape?

Guest Luke McMillian

Hey does anybody know where you can get black foil/cine foil? I remember reading it's a black heavy weight foil that you can attach to lights to help shape the light coming through. Where can you pick this stuff up, or similar stuff like it? Also I was wondering if anybody has used black hockey tape as gaffer tape? It seems like it's pretty similar and is cloth based and may not leave a sticky residue, altho I'm not sure.

Luke

Edited by Lukeo

Can you pick similar stuff at wal mart or anything? Something that will work similar, I'd use alluminum foil, but it's doo flimsy. does anybody know where you can get some cheapo stuff?

• Premium Member
Can you pick similar stuff at wal mart or anything? Something that will work similar, I'd use alluminum foil, but it's doo flimsy. does anybody know where you can get some cheapo stuff?

U can use black thin carton paper in case that u don't have big wattage lamps and with the rule that u will never put it on the lamp itself.

Dimitrios Koukas

Paper on lights? Bad idea. The whole idea of black wrap is to be able to mold it to the hot light.

Replacement for gaffers tape? I haven?t found one. Gaffers tape is the perfect mix of strength and flexibility. It is sticky but comes off when you need it. I just finished a show where we used duct tape. I could only pull off one inch sections it was so stuck together.

Thanks for the replies, I wish I could afford gaffer tape, I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative, I'll tell you if the hockey tape works decent, it's in huge supplies up here in Canada haha. Is black wrap used on a lot of pro sets? Because I plan to use it as a cheap alternative for barn doors on some cheap work lights.