Optical media tests are finished. (almost)

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I thought I'd be done by now with optical media stress tests. But Smartbuy BD-R and Ridata BD-R proved to be better than I thought. You never know about these things. Memorex BD-R proved to be one of the worst and you would think it would be among the best! I have to update the article, but addendum test results are here below. Here are previous BD-R stress tests.

Blu-ray Discs …they are not all the same. – Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection – II (home.blog)

Memorex BD-R 25GB single layer 6x. Tested twice. Both tests failed within 30 days of sun. 

Smartbuy BD-R 25GB 1-6X. Passed 2 months of sun and tests are ongoing.

Ridata BD-R 25GB 6x. Passed 2 months of sun and tests are ongoing.

None of the BD-R I've tested have been interim champs. In other words, they die within a month of sun or will last a year of sun; so it will be interesting to see what these 2 discs can actually take.

If you have Memorex BD-R, I would not use them for archival work. Personally, I use the remaining stock I have for temp work only.

<><><><>

Reel%20People%20adult%20movie%20ad%20198

Reel People Film ad 1983

Selection from Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Film & VHS Ad Archive

Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Small Gauge Film Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Advertising Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. VHS Video Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Popular Culture Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Audio Archive
Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Social Documentary Photography

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update...

A little less than 3 months of sun and the Smartbuy BD-R 25GB 1-6X had some errors. Once a disc shows errors, I fail it. But, most of the Smartbuy disc was still fine...as far as still photo scans go.

The Ridata BD-R 25GB 6x passed 3 months of sun, and sun tests are ongoing. Beside M-Disc BD-R and Japan / Taiwan Verbatim BD-R, which all lasted a year of sun; the Ridata seems to be a decent choice for cheap BD-R. Time will tell if the Ridata lasts a year of sun. I will update if it fails or after 9 months of sun tests are finished.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 6 months later...

Update: 3.30.24

Ridata 25gb Blu-ray is still good after 9 months of sun. Test will conclude in 3 months. Pretty impressive performance from Ridata. It is the only Blu-ray disc to last this long other than M-Disc, Japan Verbatim and Taiwan Verbatim BD-R's.