Feedback on lighting and composition

Hey everyone, I’m a long time lurker and have learned a ton from reading this forum (shoutout to David Mullen!)

I’d appreciate feedback on my cinematography reel. What’s good and what could I improve in my compositions and lighting?

Thanks!

Edited by Caleb Melpignano

• Premium Member

A lot of your exts are very strong; but I feel like in your INT work, you need to control the light more, to really focus us in on what we should be seeing. The shot at 031 is a great example of well controlled light vs 043 where it just feels muddy, and 055 where the background is detracting from the subject (it's so bright and similar in color to his shirt/skin that the eye tend to wander, but there's not much to land on. )

Framing has a lot to do with story points, I feel, and yours is fine. there's nothing inherently bad about it, but perhaps try being a little more bold in compositions, and try to work in scale and depth whenever possible.

it's certainly not bad work, and you seem to be at a point where you have the basics pretty understood; now just get out there and see how far you can push things to develop your own visual style.

The first shot is by far the best shot in terms of composition, (if you have similar shots to that one you could include that as well)

The cemetery and the car are also good shots. I think you have too many shots and it could flow better if you have more similar shots and less of a variety. 

The shot with the tress and the guy throwing the ball is well shot as well.