Which lens mount would be a smart choice to invest in these days?

Dave Draper

We've built up a collection of EF lenses over the years, but since the EF mount has been largely retired and is no longer an industry standard, we'll soon be selling them to start anew. However, we find ourselves in a bit of a dilemma; which lens mount would be a smart choice to invest in these days? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Really depends on the work you do specifically, for me in cinema it’s PL mount and nothing else. Something to consider is how adaptable a mount is, for example a lot of the newer small cinema cameras are opting for an RF mount, as it can adapt very easily to Sony, EF, PL, ETC.

• Premium Member

It seems, as Jacob said, that most new cameras are going with adaptable mounts; I think even the LPL from Arri can take standard PL lenses with an adapter. As such, I wouldn't get rid of any EF Glass. It's a lot cheaper to get a good adapter from say L mount on the new pocket 6K to EF, or RF to EF, or E to EF than it is to get all new lenses.

That said, when you do eventually upgrade your camera, maybe then it's time to replace some lenses with equivalents in native mount. If I grab the new 6K FF, for example, as I'm tempted to do, I might well look into a set of L-mount primes to go with it. But I'll also want to grab a PL and EF adapter since, well, sometimes you want or need to use glass in those mounts.