Reloading Single-8 Cartridges

Scott Bullock

Hello all,

I want to break out some Single-8 cameras and put them to use again alongside my Super 8 gear. I know that my best option for feeding the camera (at least, in the USA) is to reload Single-8 cartridges with fresh Kodak film on my own. I'm sure I have all of the requisite materials (cartridges, film, rewinds, a dark room, etc.) but, having never reloaded one of these before, I'm wondering if anyone might offer some tips and tricks to make the process go more smoothly.

I'm aware that I can't load 50' of Kodak due to the base thickness, so I plan to load 25' into two cartridges. Will these Single-8 cartridges open with a minimum of hassle? I think the much earlier ones were easier but I don't have any of those at the moment.

Any thoughts, comments, tips and tricks, or directions to established resources is greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

Hi!

Use some white leader (at least 5m) to test reloading in light. The leader will try to unwind itself like the real film. ? When you can load the cart in less than 5min in light, then you will still need at least(!) 15min in darkness for your first carts. And with your first attempts, you will probably end up with the perforation on the wrong side or with the film base on the wrong side (the emulsion has to be closer to the lens than the base). ?

You can normally load 12m of acetate based film into a single8-cart. One exception is the Fomapan R100 as it‘s stiffer: When you load more than 10m, the film might jam.

The wheels/cores inside the cartridge each have a small spike to attach the film. (I simply punched 2-3 overlapping holes into the film with one of those adjustable punches for leather belts. This is good enough to attach the film to the spike.)

Alternative approach: Use double sided scotch tape to glue the film onto the wheels. But ensure to remove the tape before processing the film.

Keep in mind that the film is following a different path in the cartridge than the tape in a MC. (But it’s engraved onto the cartridge.)

To open the cartridge, simply follow the gap between the two outer parts with a small, sharp knife (e.g. Swiss Army knife) with very little pressure. This is usually enough to crack the cartridge open (as Fuji luckily used a minimum amount of glue). Later use scotch tape to keep it closed. But don’t use any thick tape like gaffer tape. Otherwise the cartridge might not fit into the camera anymore.

Keep in mind that the camera will later read the cartridge‘s arc or holes/dimples to detect the film‘s sensitivity. So either modify this or use matching cartridges or use manual exposure.

That‘s pretty much it. Good luck!

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

Thank you for the info, Joerg. I'll open up a cartridge this weekend and have a look. Your info is very helpful and definitely gives me a place to start.

I see that you're in Germany. Have you worked with Click & Surr before? They sell repackaged Single-8 (not sure of the stock) but they don't sell to the USA. I'm not sure why, I'm guessing it's an import/export issue. I've considered contacting them anyway just to see what they have to say. I've purchased equipment from other sellers in Germany and Spain fairly recently without issue, so not sure what the problem is.

Tak at Retro Enterprises is no longer able to use Kodak film. Not sure why, a licensing issue perhaps. I wish somebody would pickup the ball for Single-8 in the USA just like Pro8mm did for Super 8. I guess it's okay to dream...

To answer your Click&surr question… s. attached image. ?

(I gonna shoot another cart this weekend, then they will be send to Andec.)

Click&Surr and Bottega Analogica only have got a limited amount of empty cartridges. Hence they are selling them only with „process paid“ (having a contract with the lab for returning the carts to them for reloading). Hence, it doesn’t make sense for them to ship to the US.

(I also used Bottega Analogica in the past and am very, very happy with the results. The main reason for choosing C&S this time was a timing issue: shippings from Italy sometimes only take 3 days, but sometimes more than a week. And I simply forgot to order in time… ?)

4EA6534C-BB81-4088-8B44-E52102520B4C.jpeg

On 9/30/2023 at 2:16 AM, Joerg Polzfusz said:

Click&Surr and Bottega Analogica only have got a limited amount of empty cartridges. Hence they are selling them only with „process paid“ (having a contract with the lab for returning the carts to them for reloading). Hence, it doesn’t make sense for them to ship to the US.

Thanks Joerg, I hadn't even thought of that. But hey, if they'd ship to me, I'd ship back to them for processing and transfer. I don't think the shipping would be too terrible and could be justified if it were for several rolls. Sounds like the EU is having all of the Single-8 fun; we need someone to share the love in the USA!

Why don’t you ask them?

https://en.botteganalogica.it/product-page/pellicola-single8-fomapan-r100 has got a contact field at the bottom. And unlike C&S, there’s no „only inside the EU“ disclaimer.

(Don’t be afraid of the mix of Italian and English language on the website. The owner, Riccardo, can speak English - it‘s only the automatic translation that sometimes doesn’t work. He also has got other technical problems with the website, e.g. pop-ups that shouldn’t show up anymore.)

21 hours ago, Joerg Polzfusz said:

Why don’t you ask them?

I've put it on my list of things to do in my "Project Single-8" file. ?  I really appreciate all the help and info. I'm going to dig up all the info I can on Single-8; if you stumble upon anything else, please pass it along. Thanks again!