Pan-Cinor 17-85 mount alignment problem

Daniel Jewesbury

I am using a Pan-Cinor 17-85 on my Bolex H16M, the lens with the dog-leg viewfinder. Something very strange has happened. The thread on the rear - the C-mount that screws to the camera body - has somehow become misaligned. The lens can no longer line up so that the viewfinder tube sits on top of the right-hand motor side of the camera - it’s now about 90° off and sits out to the side of the magazine. I don’t understand. I have taken a look at the thread (I tried unmounting and mounting it several times to convince myself I’m not going mad) and I note that the threaded barrel has two small notches diametrically opposite one another at the end; so I guess a pair of engineering pliers with an adjustable width could be used to rotate the thread barrel in the lens housing. But how has the thread become misaligned in the first place? And will it mess up the lens collimation? I’m filming in a remote location without engineering pliers and with a lot of rolls of film I need to shoot in the next 10 days!

The fact that the lens is now 90° turned means also that the viewfinder frame is no longer straight: but when one unscrews the viewfinder tube, at the end of the part that it screws into, is another thread with diametrically opposed notches and these can be adjusted by hand to line the frame up again. Hence my wondering whether the notches in the lens mount itself have the same purpose. 

Can anyone help? Have you ever heard of this or similar problems?

1 hour ago, Simon Wyss said:

Leave the grooved fastening ring alone.

You can turn the lens relative to its thread by pulling it away from the camera while threaded in, not fully up. There is a spring ring built in.

Thank you firstly for getting back to me, and so quickly - I appreciate it, and will leave the fastening ring well alone! But can I ask what you mean by ‘not fully up’? 
Daniel

• 3 months later...

I'm having a rather similar issue in regards to the alignment of the Pan Cinor 85 Compact. I mounted it to my C mount to MFT adapter and the lens is upside down in relation to the lens mount. Is it possible to adjust the lens so it could align correctly?

Calvin

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Calvin Tri Nguyen said:

I'm having a rather similar issue in regards to the alignment of the Pan Cinor 85 Compact. I mounted it to my C mount to MFT adapter and the lens is upside down in relation to the lens mount. Is it possible to adjust the lens so it could align correctly?

Calvin

Questions like this are easily answered by reading the manual, which can be found with a simple google search.

https://usermanual.wiki/Manual/somberthiotpancinor85compactinstructions.169125904.pdf

The manual pictures a custom tool to rotate the mount, but you can use a lens wrench or something similar.

• Premium Member
On 10/30/2023 at 7:49 PM, Daniel Jewesbury said:

Thank you firstly for getting back to me, and so quickly - I appreciate it, and will leave the fastening ring well alone! But can I ask what you mean by ‘not fully up’? 
Daniel

For future reference, the manual for the reflex (dogleg) version of the Pan Cinor 17-85 mentions that you can either use the tool supplied (which few have nowadays) or simply unscrew the lens by about one turn, then press the mount against the camera while turning the lens to the correct position. The mount is internally sprung, as Simon mentioned, once fully done up it should not rotate.