Arri SR3 HS Mag noise

Samuel Preston

I have two SR3 HS mags and both have a light but noticeable intermittent squeak. Are there any service manuals for how to relubricate the mags, or any people doing this in europe? I need to record sound and that very specific frequency and loudness the mags have might be an issue. 

• Premium Member

Do they make noise when run with film? SR3 mags are noisier without film, they need the tension to run properly. You could put a drop of oil in the rollers that press against the film if that’s what is squeaking. Otherwise leave it to a tech. There are no service manuals really, just exploded diagrams and basic instructions for simple maintenance procedures. Most of the knowledge was passed from tech to tech, or from training sessions at Arri back in the day.

If you still think they need a service, try Cine Facilities in Amsterdam. Or any rental house near you that rents film movie cameras should have either a service department or a company that they use, ask them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 11:00 AM, Dom Jaeger said:

Do they make noise when run with film? SR3 mags are noisier without film, they need the tension to run properly. You could put a drop of oil in the rollers that press against the film if that’s what is squeaking. Otherwise leave it to a tech. There are no service manuals really, just exploded diagrams and basic instructions for simple maintenance procedures. Most of the knowledge was passed from tech to tech, or from training sessions at Arri back in the day.

If you still think they need a service, try Cine Facilities in Amsterdam. Or any rental house near you that rents film movie cameras should have either a service department or a company that they use, ask them.

Thanks for your advice Dom, I'm a service technician myself for analog cine and photo gear. I was just hesitant to take apart the mag due to the lack of available information.

Got in touch with an Arri tech from Munich who explained the issues to me, which I used to service the mags. All solved! I would be happy to make a YouTube video on the topic for people who have the same issue and are looking on how to solve it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 8:24 AM, Leonardo Pirondi said:

Hi Samuel.

I have a similar problem here with an SR2 Mag squeaking while still getting a good image consistent image. Would be curious to know what you did to solve it.

just one of the mags seem to have a “drag” when spinning the wheel on the mag.

Hi Leonardo, I just got round to filming the video, here is the link 

Its a pretty simple solution so try it out, maybe it'll fix your issue too!