Rubber eyecup for Arriflex IIA

Fabian Schreyer

• 2 weeks later...

Keep an eye open on ebay. I'm not sure who does the manufacturing. Maybe items like eyecups are commissioned from various manufactures in batches, or sold wholesale in batches.

This chap in Israel said he produces them, but I'm not sure how to interpret that. They are cheaper than other versions I have seen...Internal diameter 2.5cm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256311812732?hash=item3bad5fe27c:g:wRgAAOSwIuNhkNwa

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tom Frenette said:

The link above looks like the correct one for the IIA. I ended up purchasing a slightly larger version for my IIB in the pas.....

Do you know what the internal diameter of the hole is? i have a hunch i have already asked Du-All and they didn't respond.

I was looking for something with ID=32mm, or that might stretch.

Gregg.

19 minutes ago, Gregg MacPherson said:

Do you know what the internal diameter of the hole is? i have a hunch i have already asked Du-All and they didn't respond.

I was looking for something with ID=32mm, or that might stretch.

Gregg.

I'll have to get back to you with exact measurements when I'm near my camera. I did save the attached photo however.

The original ring from the viewfinder (IIA&IIB Models) that secures the older eye cup sits perfectly in place, but not wide enough to hold the rubber on of course. If you've got the diameter of that ring, it should give you an idea.

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 10.16.47 PM.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a couple of eye cups from the Israeli eBay vendor (link as above https://www.ebay.com/itm/256311812732?hash=item3bad5fe27c:g:wRgAAOSwIuNhkNwa).

The hole ID measures 28mm, not the 25mm quoted by the vendor. I was looking for an eye cup that would fit a Kinoptik orientable VF for the ACL, the recess on that is 32mm diameter. I don't have a VF here at the moment, but the rubber stretched easily over a 32mm tube. So for applications where the eye cup is not required to rotate easily in the recess, it may be a useful option.

It would be handy to have a little table/ database of eyecups for the various cameras. For cameras like ACLs, with maybe various eyecups due to various VFs, it might help when trying to locate an adaptable Arri one etc...

A good eyecup that immediately positions the eye (pupil) correctly can be very useful.

Gregg

• 2 months later...

To give a quick update here: I also bought some of the eyecups from Israel. 

They fit perfectly on newer mounts like the one for my Arriflex 16St, which seem to have an inner diameter of about 28mm. So it will probably just fit fine on a 2C viewfinder as well. 

For my IIA the inner diameter is about 25mm. The outer diameter is the same though on both the original eyecup that came with the camera as well as the one delivered from Israel. So the only problem is that you need a wider inner metal shim to secure the eyecup. For now I just improvised such a ring by cutting up an old credit card.

A few words about quality: They feel super flexible and were probably made recently. The overall impression that I have is very good. But of course you would have to see how they age.

(Only downside so far: I had to pay import duties upfront via eBay, but the seller did not attach any of the tax documents/numbers (IOSS number) provided by eBay on the envelope,  so I was forced to pay that twice...)

Here is a picture of the 3 different eyecups: On top you see the IIA cup with its shim next to it. In the middle is the new eyecup that I was delivered. And on the bottom you see my old 16St eyecup (with its shim as well).

image.thumb.jpeg.496231e1cc76e89a3996ca4e11558092.jpeg