Double images, pesky parasites and matteboxery at itd finest

Hello hello,

So i've recently finished a shoot which was set on the 1800's and basicly the practical lights were candles. All exterior was lit with soft lights coming through the window.

We had GG difusion all time in the mattebox and ocassionaly a Black Satin.

Alot of dolly movement and i would every day be fighting them double images. Specialy the practical light (candles). I had to fine tune where double image would be during the shot. Hence the dolly shots and double images would be all over the place.

So the way i did this finetuning was, i would remove the extra trays from the mattebox and place my filter diagonally. Sometimes i would direct it up, most times down. So i could have the reflection out of frame.

That however did not work when we would face the soft exterior light which would wash away every thing. With or without filters.

We were shooting with canon sumire, which is a beautifull lens, however it wouldnt hold up the soft light directly.

So, my question is, besides tilting the filter, reducing all possible extra light incedence with top flags, side flags, bottom flags and what nots. Would you guys say there is something else that could be done?

Bare in mind there was no budget for optimo primes and their amazing in lens filter systems.

Tks!

• Premium Member

Sounds like you did everything possible.

I'd have avoided two filters, especially since a Black Satin already has a GlimmerGlass in it as a base, plus degrees of Diffusion/FX -- so I can see going from a GlimmerGlass to a Black Satin but I don't see combining the two. But if the lens flares even when you pull everything out of the mattebox, add flags, etc. then the problem is the lens itself, so either accept the flaring as a style or stop pointing the lens into lights that cause the flare.

• 1 month later...

Arri 4x5 mattebox can be tilted up and down if it is rod mounted with the Swing-Away Tilt Module. You’ll need to use a neoprene or cloth donut to make the seal with the mattebox and the lens, clamp on adapter won’t work as the box needs to move independently from the lens.