Bolex H-16 REX 3

Jordan Kernke

I will do my best to advise. I'm certainly no Bolex expert, but I would look at this source of information if you haven't already:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/articles/07_05_11.html

As far as I'm aware this website has a reasonably good reputation. Just make sure that the serial number is, according to the bolexcollector site, above 76471. See the footnote "S/N 76471 (H16 only)"

I'd go a little above that serial number. Eg. choose a higher number to make sure you get a single sprocket camera.

Make sure the camera runs cleanly and makes a nice regular whirring sound. It's a precision machine and should sound like one. Ask the seller how long a single wind of film lasts at 24 fps. I'm pretty sure it's ideally supposed to be about 28 or 29 seconds. Don't run the camera faster than 24 fps without film in it. Does the film speed sound constant, up to just before the spring runs out?

Is the lens clear? Is there fog or fungus? Also crucially, do the focus and aperture rings turn easily and do the aperture blades look fine? Look down into the lens from both ends if you can.

Best wishes Jordan and I hope you get a good camera! I've found Bolex cameras to be pretty dependable and steady, so far. I've tried a few.

I used to feel a bit frustrated when old salts would say to me "just get a camera that works and start filming. Don't stress about getting the perfect camera or one that ticks most or all the boxes for what you want or desire. The main thing is just start filming."

Guess what. They were right. I now say the same to people contemplating getting a film camera. Get anything that works, and start filming.

Edited by Jon O'Brien
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The principal deliberation should be: do I want the double-prism reflex system or do I prefer optical freedom? With a standard model you can use almost any C-mount lens there is without constraints, with a REX you can’t. Rearwards protruding wide angles conflict with the prism block. The prisms introduce astigmatism and soft focus to focal lengths shorter than 50 mm and at diaphragm apertures wider than f/3.3. You’re more or less bound to the RX corrected lenses made by Kern, Berthiot, Angénieux, and Schneider.