Arriflex 535B Overview/Tutorial Video

Jake Scumaci

Hi Everyone. I hope you're all having a great holiday season. I just wanted to share an overview/tutorial for the Arriflex 535B that I (finally) got around to posting. My friends and I filmed it back in the summer of 2022 and I've been sitting on it for a while, but I suppose film cameras don't get outdated like digital so all the info should still be correct*. It is a bit long however, so I won't be offended if you watch it on 1.5 or even 2x speed. Anyways, please let me know what you all think and hopefully this can be helpful to at least a few people. Thanks to Kyle Mikolajczyk and Sidharth Sadhujan for all their help.

*Please ignore the part where I say there are no other 535 videos on YouTube. This was true when we filmed but is no longer the case. Also the part about the shutter is hard to see, apologies in advance.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Really enjoyed! 

Tho... "electronic shutter" on the "A" model? 

From my understanding, both the A and B models have the same movement. 

Tho, it's one of the only Arri's I have little to no experience with. 

Hey Tyler! Thanks for watching, I'm glad you enjoyed it! My understanding is that the 'A' has an programmable electronic shutter and that the 'B' is just a standard mechanical one. The movement blocks themselves are the same I believe. I could be wrong but that was what I remember from comparing the manuals and using the camera.

• Premium Member
On 12/26/2023 at 9:34 PM, Jake Scumaci said:

Hey Tyler! Thanks for watching, I'm glad you enjoyed it! My understanding is that the 'A' has an programmable electronic shutter and that the 'B' is just a standard mechanical one. The movement blocks themselves are the same I believe. I could be wrong but that was what I remember from comparing the manuals and using the camera.

Yes, my bad. I just dug a bit. The A model does have the same shutter system as the 435 I guess. It's just not controllable without the SCU (or some sort of other external controller) which is typical Arri. Must buy accessories to make your camera do it's job lol. 

Good to know tho, thanks for catching that.