Zacuto Z-Finder EVF Rubber Eye Cup Issues.

Hi Everyone,

Recently, I started building a run-and-gun ENG-style documentary shoulder cam build. I got my first "EVF" from Zacuto, and I loved it until I used it outside on my first production. While filming, we had to follow a moving subject on foot quickly. I take the camera off the tripod, throw the tripod over my shoulder, and hold the camera in my right hand from the top handle running.

The eye cup cover was closed, and by the time we got to the next spot, the eye cup had fallen off; since we were in the direct harsh sunlight, the diopter was also exposed as the cap was only able, slightly damaging my EVF's screen (a small clump of pixels affected nothing horrible.)

I wanted to avoid this, so I returned to the location, found the eye cup on the ground, and put it back. Recently, it happened again. Luckily, it was over, so there was no new damage, but it is a risk I would like to avoid from happening in the future. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?

I'm not familiar with the attachment, but could you clamp it on with a cable tie/zip-tie? These come in various sizes and are a few pence each. You would tighten it up with pliers and snip off the surplus plastic.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...