Difusion filter

Hello,
I have these reference images for a shooting. The camera is a Alexa Mini and Im considering using a Cooke lens, and I'm wondering if a diffusion filter would be necessary. I've watched some videos about diffusion filters like Glimmer Glass, etc. What would you recommend to achieve a similar look? Would a Glimmer Glass 1/2 be suitable for this?

Another doubt is that the reference seems to be a curtain with light passing through it and that creates a ¨bloom¨. But we are shooting a studio with white walls that are suppose to look white-grey so it wont create a similar look, right? It´s just going to look softer?

example-3.jpg

example-4.jpg

• Premium Member

A diffusion filter is only necessary if you think it is necessary based on your visual goals and the image you are getting on the set. It certainly doesn't hurt to carry some filters even if you end up not using them, just in case the sharpness of the image is too unflattering or if you desire a certain effect like glowing highlights.

However, keep in mind that if you don't really know whether you need the filters or not, you could always just shoot clean and do the filtering in post if it turned out to be necessary after-the-fact; you aren't stuck with a too-sharp image (but you can be stuck with a too-soft image).

There are different types of diffusion filters, some are "mist" filters that cause bright areas to halate, often causing some loss of contrast while softening the image, others blur fine details but don't contribute much halation. Some combine a mist filter and a softening filter. You just have to decide what look you want and why you are using the filter.